Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Transcription: 29 May 2012


Hello Everybody! Today is Sunday the 27th.

This week was amazing. We had a lot of good things happen. We got invited to a birthday party by some of our potential members. We went and it was really cool. (haha) Like we walk in and -- our potential members really like us; there's two of them, one of them is in her late 20's and the other is like 20. They are pretty open and comfortable with us talking about the gospel. They family is still a little closed off because they go to another church. But anyway -- we walk into the party (haha) and everybody like just stares at us! (haha) Like in shock, (haha) because we are missionaries from another church. But we walk in and just start talking to people. We actually found a guy who is a member, who hopefully we can follow up here soon. He was a member up in Samoa and moved to Hawaii and then he moved up here. Since his parents were of a different Church, when he went to Hawaii, when they brought him to their Church, he kind of just went along with it. Anyway as we were talking with everybody, we look over in the band that was playing some music there (haha) for their birthday party, and we see in the band this guy named [name withheld].

We saw him playing in the band and he saw us too. We had gone to visit him before. He is a member, and was actually brought into the Church by his girlfriend. His dad is a minister in another Church, he's a faifeo. We are faifeotalai (haha). He's just a faifeo, because we are preaching missionaries or ministers on foot. He was always friendly to us and everything because he had softened up a lot after he went to his son's baptism and saw how members acted. But he was super against it before. I looked over at Church (haha) in the middle of Sacrament meeting and I'm like, "that's [name withheld]'s dad!!!" I never would have expected him to come, but he was there and ooh it was such a good Sacrament meeting! We had a returned missionary speak and bear his testimony about how serving each other just helps, and how we need to step up and do our duties in the Church so we can help other people and help it grow. That totally brought the Spirit. And then the [name withheld]s, oh, a super solid family. I love them. But they get up and just start bearing their testimony about eternal families and about the temple. (I love the temple! There isn't a place I'd rather be than the temple. When I get back, I'm going to spend as much time as I can in the temple. It's an amazing place. I can't even begin to describe how much I love the temple. I felt it especially after not being able to go as often as I did before. It's a place of such peace and love. You know the Church is true when you go there. There is nothing that can change that. It's such a wonderful experience.) Anyway, they just started bearing their testimonies about families.

We went over to [name withheld]'s house for dinner and she asked us what one thing that we noticed that families; really faithful members with strong families, strong unity; do to keep their families together. We said well they pray together, they read their scriptures together, they spend time together; and then she asked us what have you noticed that is different about families who aren't, that don't come and have a lot of discord in the family and a lot of struggles. We've noticed, and we said, they don't do those things. I mean it's as simple as that, they don't pray together, they don't spend time together, and the family suffers the effects. Those are just things that bind us together and help us grow; especially prayer, especially praying together, but she (haha) actually used that in her talk.

I was just like crying the whole time. I felt the Spirit so strong. Even from the beginning, I knew it was going to be a special day as soon as I walked inside the chapel. I don't know how anybody who was in that Sacrament meeting could not have felt the Spirit. The bishop was talking about [name withheld]'s dad, when he looked over at him, he could start to see a change in his face. He totally felt the Spirit. He actually announced in the Elder's quorum that we were welcome to come over whenever we wanted. We were welcome to come to his house (haha). I was just like, "oh man! this is amazing!" Because if he comes, his family will come, and chances are a lot of members of his congregation will come too. I'm just so happy to have served in the Samoan ward. We have really been able to gain the trust of the members. They are really starting to get excited, and active in missionary work, and just helping each other out and spreading the gospel. It's spreading like wild fire. (haha) It's just so exciting to see, and we don't always see the difference we make. Thankfully, I've been able to see some of the difference that I've been able to make, particularly with my companions. Elder Wright -- an awesome guy! Elder Thorne -- awesome guy! It's been with their help we have been able to move the work forward. I love the people here.

There is a family we really like that is getting excited about the temple. We have a lot of people who we have been teaching that are taking the temple prep class now, and are getting ready to go. It's just so much fun to (haha) help people, and spend all your time doing it, and be anxiously engaged in a good cause. I love spending ALL my time doing that, being very driven. Yea, and people are starting to go and share the gospel with their friends, and they are getting ready to have us go over to those people. As we go out and do stuff, we are able to find people who we didn't know were there before, who we need to help and who need our help. And so, we help them. It's very fun to be a missionary. It's hard at first, but (haha) then it gets easier because then you start to lose yourself after you get the hang of things. You are able to work and able to help people, and you get so wrapped up in things it's hard to think about much of anything else. That's when it's fun. If you are not doing anything, if you are being lazy, if you are not being obedient to the mission rules, if you are not being obedient to the commandments, then it's no fun; but when you are, miracles start to happen and it's amazing. I have totally seen that so far.

I know the Church is true. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know that it is in the temple that we can make the rest of those covenants to return to live with our Heavenly Father. I love the temple. I am thankful for the opportunity I've had to be a member of the Church and to be a missionary. I am thankful for you guys, my family, and all the help you have given me to build my testimony. I can't wait to just move forward with life. I wouldn't have traded this experience for anything. I'm not even out a year yet! I've grown so much. It's given me such direction in my life that I'm going to work hard, and I am always going to work hard. I am never going to leave anybody behind. If there is someone who is struggling that needs my help, I'm going to help them. If there is somebody who is weak in their faith and their testimony, I'm going to help them. If there is somebody who is having a down day, I'm going to go help them.

I hope you all have a good time back in Utah (haha). Let me know as soon as you find the address for the house or as soon as you move in, so I can have that because I will have to change that card that I give to people. Talk you later, bye.

Love, Elder Record

No comments:

Post a Comment