Monday, September 19, 2011

Email: 19 September 2011


The past week has been amazing. We are teaching more than we ever have before. We were all over the place on Sunday. It was basically one lesson (with members present) after another. It's amazing to see the work progress so rapidly. Bobby is so receptive to the gospel and has even received his confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true. We're visiting Sister Brett more now. She is less active and has a non-member neighbor who is her friend. Her friend's name is Heather. Heather loves books and family history. Elder Johnson loves books, and I love family history, so it works. We had a fun visit with Heather. Sister Brett was there too and we are starting to become good friends with her. We're going to be making some craisin bread for some of our less actives and investigators. Can you send me the Casatiello recipe dad?

Map of P-Day Activities
I really like tracting and finding now. It's becoming a lot easier for me. We'll go up to the door and I'll just smile and be happy. I'll talk to them a little and then sincerely share the gospel with them because I love them, and it usually turns out very well. We've been keeping track, and about 50% of the doors we knock become potential investigators. I found that Love is the key thing in all this. When I go to the door with love in my heart, really wanting to help them be happy and bless their lives, things turn out very well and even rejection doesn't hurt as bad. I'll look at a rejection with a more eternal perspective. I love them as sons and daughters of God. If they reject the message at that moment, I am able to have a hope that they will accept it later.

I've been studying a lot lately in the New Testament, I just finished Acts. I really like Paul. Reading about his missionary experiences help lift me. He had such courage. Even when he has beaten and stoned he still proclaimed the gospel with all the energy of his heart. I want to do the same. I think a lot about the growth I've seen in myself and am amazed at how God can change our hearts. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to serve a mission. Elder Johnson is a good trainer. While in the MTC I felt the spirit tell me that if I would master goal setting and planning, it would greatly bless my missionary efforts and my life ahead perhaps more than anything else. I'm thankful for Elder Johnson because he is so organized and is helping me to make good goals and plan accordingly. I know this church is true, and this is God's work. The Book of Mormon is true, and I love it with all my heart. He is mighty to save and can change our hearts. "Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." I know that Thomas S. Monson is God's prophet on the earth today. I can't wait for general conference.
Elders Record, Johnson, Bowes and Hartman
on top of Grey Mountain

Mom, I would definitely take the vitamins or whatever things like that you send me. I appreciate the diet reminders, it helps. I want to be as healthy as I can so that I am more fit for the work. I've been spending more on the Card then I've wanted to. We don't really have much at our apartment, so I've had to buy things like cleaning supplies, cups, and bowls, or whatever. We are going down to Juneau for Zone Conference at 2pm today, so I'll most likely be eating out a lot for the next few days. I'll have to use my card. Everything is more expensive in Canada then Alaska, so I'll probably get a coat and boots down in Juneau. After that I'll probably not use my card so much cause I think I'm situated now. Most apartments will have everything I need there. Normally they don't have 2 sets of elders in one branch and in Whitehorse for that matter. The place we're at was "ready" 3 days after we arrived in Whitehorse =) it's different but fun. I was also called to be the District photographer and the District hugger =) I will be having a lot of photos. I'm on the slow computer today and I don't have much time, so I'll send more pictures probably next Monday. Last P-day we hiked grey mountain and got some great photos. We call ourselves the Whitehorse Warriors and our theme scripture is 2 Corinthians 12:10. We're making district t-shirts with that scripture and Whitehorse Warriors on it =). I LOVE MISSIONARY WORK!!!!! haha

Love, Elder Record

2 comments:

  1. Hi again this is Sister Watson's mom again. Just thought you might like to know what she had to say about your son. " You found Elder Record! He is my favorite, we were in the same district in the MTC and one of the best elders I've met. Such a brilliant little 19 year old, how's he doing up in White Horse? His dad is awesome too, some of my roomatees in the MTC weren't getting any mail so he sent them all letters and made them homemade rolls so they would feel loved." Take care. Luann Watson

    ReplyDelete