Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Service is the Key

So this week was kind of fun. We got to help out this one family. The husband is not a member, the wife is, but she hasn't been to church for a while. Anyway, we went and helped them. There was this wood shed that they had built. But we were helping them pull some nails out of some boards that they needed, and helped them stack their firewood. The husband was chopping down trees with a chainsaw, and then he would cut them into sections, and we would pick up the big logs and haul them over to the wood shed and stack them. It was quite the workout, but it was really fun (haha). It was 20 degrees outside, and I was wearing a short sleeved shirt. But, that's because I got really hot. Apparently that's what you want to do in Alaska; when you get hot, instead of sweat, just take a layer off. I would have put on another layer, if I wasn't sweating. But, no, I'm staying safe and pretty warm.

I will probably need to get a new coat; one that is like a down coat. Some other material besides the polyester, because the cold just cuts right through it. It can't hold in the heat, but down coats can. So I might need to get one of those.

We try to work with the ward pretty closely, and associate with people as much as we can, especially some of the less active members. It is really nice to be able to be in ward council and have people ask, “oh, what about this person”, or “I heard this about these people, do they need help?” It is really nice to be able to have the answer (haha). It's kind of funny sometimes, because we will be in ward council and they will ask about somebody, and we will tell them how they are doing. It's nice to be of help, because you just see relief flood over them; at least for the bishop. It helps relieve some of his burden. In Preach My Gospel we learned that we need to be a blessing to the bishop and not a burden, because he is the key holder and can receive special inspiration for the ward and how to help them out. So if we stay close to him, help him out, and develop a “how can I help?” attitude; then things go a little bit faster. It's nice to be appreciated and to work hard.

We had a fun day on Wednesday. We were able to teach a few people. We have a couple of people who are looking like they are going to progress pretty well. The best way to find people to teach is through members. These people that we are teaching are either referrals from one of the members or a part member family. Those are the people who are most interested. People with their influence, preach the gospel at all times; or they can without words. Example is a pretty big thing.

I flipped open last night to the scriptures and read a verse that I thought was pretty cool. In John 14:31 it's talking about the Savior and says, “But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.” I like that because later in chapter 15 it talks about “if ye love me, keep my commandments.” I like how in John 14:31, the Savior says, “I love the Father,” and he says, “as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do.” So, I (haha) love how firm he is in his obedience.”

It has been a good week. It's getting colder, that's for sure. There is much, much colder weather to come. I'm taking vitamin D and vitamin C, and trying to stay healthy. I'm exercising, so I'll probably be fine. I thought I was getting sick for a little bit, but I don't think I am. I think it was just a temporary thing that day, because I haven't felt it since. Unfortunately, Elder Beirne has been sick, and it has not been fun for him (haha). He is way tough. I would (haha) probably (haha) be like dieing on the couch, but he has stuck through it. Fairbanks is a beautiful place.

We were driving down the road, and we saw a moose lying in the road. Somebody had hit it, and it was dead. It was a pretty big deal, and traffic was kind of affected. It was at night time too. Well, night time is relative because it gets dark really early. It was at dark (haha).

I am thankful that you two are my parents, mom and dad, because you are amazing. It has made a big difference for me, and helping me gain my testimony of the gospel, and I know it's true. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love, Elder Record

No comments:

Post a Comment